This Minute at Runco
This week it was announced the NetFlix is testing 4k video streaming and has posted a short video entitled “El Fuente 50 MP” which is described as “an example of 4k.” We brought a PC with an internet connection into the lab to test the content on the Planar UltraRes 4k Ultra HD 84” LCD display.
In general, the content was not as good as the video loops we have demonstrated at DSE, InfoComm, and CEDIA Expo , which we know have been shot or rendered in 4k and are mastered for quality. That said, it was a significant improvement over what they showed in January 2013 at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) and this latest effort shows real promise. We are watching with interest to see how the development progresses for streaming and 4k video distribution and this is an important step in that effort.
The ecosystem for 4k or Ultra HD content is continuing to develop with great resources available from stock video firms, on YouTube, and through marketing agencies, motion graphics studio, and video artists working in 4k. See previous blog posts for additional sources of high quality 4k content and stay tuned for additional posts in this series.
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
Planar’s new Ultra HD resolution displays are uniquely designed to help professionals across industries reap value from high-resolution information
Today, at the Digital Signage Expo 2013 in Las Vegas, Planar Systems, Inc., a global leader in digital display technology, unveiled the breakthrough 84-inch Planar® UltraRes™ display product line, designed for ultra-high resolution commercial applications.
The new Planar UltraRes 4K displays provide native ultra–high definition resolution (3840 x 2160), outstanding image quality and a range of configurations. Planar UltraRes displays are ideal for professionals in a wide variety of commercial industries who require a large viewing area, very high pixel density and enterprise-level features that allow teams to collaborate around more immersive and detailed visual information.
“In commercial, academic and government settings there is a large and growing volume of ultra-high definition computer and video visual information—along with people making critical decisions based on that information,” said Steve Seminario, senior director of product marketing for Planar Systems. “With Planar UltraRes, we’re pleased to be leading the way for what we expect to be wide adoption of 4K resolution displays in these professional settings.”
Making the Most of High-Resolution Information
Planar UltraRes 84-inch displays are designed for applications including energy, geospatial, engineering and design, architecture, aerospace, control room, collaborative conference room, medical imaging, science, and digital signage, among others. Whether it’s making a multi-million dollar energy exploration decision, quickly rerouting electricity to prevent an outage or producing stunning close-up video for a retail store, Planar UltraRes 4K displays help businesses get the most impact from their high resolution information.
“Our pioneering efforts in video wall technology have resulted in Planar being seen as one of the world’s foremost authorities on 4K,” said Jennifer Davis, vice president of marketing for Planar Systems. “For decades Planar has used ultra high definition content and has been a driving force in display resolutions, going back to our introduction of the industry’s first 16:9 HD resolution rear-projection video wall displays. The exciting Planar UltraRes product line is a natural extension of our leadership in commercial markets and our expertise in resolutions beyond HD.”
Planar UltraRes ultra HD displays offer the following benefits:
- Four times the pixel density: Planar UltraRes 4K displays offer four times the resolution of a full HD display. With a native resolution of 3840 x 2160, Planar UltraRes displays make it possible to view the most granular information with stunningly sharp focus.
- Advanced image quality: Planar UltraRes displays feature latest-generation LED-lit LCD technology, selectable dynamic contrast and local dimming for enhanced contrast. Planar UltraRes displays also support a full 60Hz refresh rate and10-bit color for an exceedingly life-like video experience.
- Advanced industrial design: Planar UltraRes displays provide a sleek design for both function and style. The displays have a slim metal bezel, wide range of digital connectivity options and incorporate failover power supply for 24x7 environments.
- Innovative mounting system: The Planar Profile™ Mounting System allows for an extremely slim profile when wall-mounted (about three inches) and provides a front service access mode. The Planar Profile™ Tiling Kit allows for optimized horizontal tiling of multiple Planar UltraRes displays and the industry’s narrowest image-to-image gap for large format 4K displays.
- Breakthrough energy efficiency: Planar UltraRes displays come with an advanced energy-efficient design that utilizes edge-lit LED technology and passive cooling. The displays can automatically switch to standby mode when no source is detected and consume less than 0.5 watt of standby power. Planar UltraRes displays include no lead or mercury and are fanless and absolutely quiet.
- Modular for easy repair: Planar UltraRes displays have lockable, front service access, providing ease of service without removing the display from the wall.
Satisfying a Wide Range of Commercial Needs
Planar UltraRes displays come in three base models to suit a variety of commercial requirements:
- UR8450-LX: 2D landscape display ideal for conference and control rooms.
- UR8450-MX: 2D landscape and portrait, higher brightness model designed for digital signage and other higher ambient light environments.
- UR8450-3D: 2D and 3D landscape support, ideal for decision rooms where both 2D and 3D images and video are viewed.
Planar UltraRes 4K displays will be available through Planar’s global network of authorized resellers and will begin shipping in the second calendar quarter of 2013. Visit Booth #407 at the Digital Signage Expo 2013 to learn more about Planar UltraRes and to see a demonstration. Additional information is available at www.planar.com.
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
- Planar Announces Next Generation Clarity Matrix LCD Video Wall System
- NetFlix 4K Content for Planar UltraRes Series
- Finding 4K: Finding 4k Reference Content for the Planar UltraRes and Clarity Matrix LCD Video Walls
- Finding 4K
- Runco Xtreme Projection X200i Wows Visitors at CEDIA 2013
- Planar Provides Code for Easy Integration in a Savant Automation System
- LS12HBd Earns TOP PICK from Sound and Vision at CEDIA 2013
- Top Ten Workplace Movies
- I See You
- Game-Changing Live Action Cinematography
Explore the Magic of Runco
News & Events
17-Sep-2013 - Runco’s best-selling LightStyle™ Series taken to new heights of brightness and scale, offering an affordable big screen video experience in virtually any room of th..... more ▶
06-Sep-2012 - This exciting new lineup boasts high-performing video performance coupled with installation flexibility and 3D capabilities at an exceptional value. Indianapolis, IN &ndas..... more ▶