This Minute at Runco
This week it was announced the NetFlix is testing 4k video streaming and has posted a short video entitled “El Fuente 50 MP” which is described as “an example of 4k.” We brought a PC with an internet connection into the lab to test the content on the Planar UltraRes 4k Ultra HD 84” LCD display.
In general, the content was not as good as the video loops we have demonstrated at DSE, InfoComm, and CEDIA Expo , which we know have been shot or rendered in 4k and are mastered for quality. That said, it was a significant improvement over what they showed in January 2013 at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) and this latest effort shows real promise. We are watching with interest to see how the development progresses for streaming and 4k video distribution and this is an important step in that effort.
The ecosystem for 4k or Ultra HD content is continuing to develop with great resources available from stock video firms, on YouTube, and through marketing agencies, motion graphics studio, and video artists working in 4k. See previous blog posts for additional sources of high quality 4k content and stay tuned for additional posts in this series.
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
Finding 4k Reference Content for the Planar UltraRes Series and Clarity Matrix LCD Video Walls
As people are using the Planar® UltraRes™ or building video walls using Clarity™ Matrix for demonstration, art, or ambiance, we get questions from our reseller partners and their clients as to where they can find content to show off the incredible resolution and visual performance of these displays.
For instance, a 3x3 Clarity Matrix of our MX-46 is over 5,760 pixels wide and the ultra HD resolution of the Planar UltraRes measured 3840 x 2160 pixels on a single 84” display canvas. Although these displays can certainly show video content from traditional sources like BluRay or PC sources, and can upscale 1080p content beautifully, nothing beats native resolution art and video on these displays.
There are a variety of stock photography and video houses that provide high-resolution imagery and video that could be used to transform your UltraRes or Matrix wall from entertainment to art. Most have online collections numbering in the millions that you can browse, preview in “light box” mode, and license in multiple resolutions. Remember that most of this photography or illustrations were created for print, which requires very high resolution artwork (much greater than what is typical for even UHD video). On the video side, the growth of 4k (or higher) resolution video has been stunning, as more and more people utilize.
Here are a few of our favorites:
• Pond5: Their collection features
photography, video, and illustrations. They offer week’s free downloads so that
you can test content. Click on “Video” and type in “4k” to the search field to
reveal thousands of video clips that might be perfect for your application.
Prices can vary (most well under $100) and all are covered by a royalty-free
• ArtBeats: They specialize in video footage, up to 4K resolution, and offer a free research service to find the perfect piece for you. They have assembled a 4k demo reel that includes a variety of nature imagery in stunning resolution.
• CorbisIMAGES and CorbisMotion: Their collection includes world events and fine art, including celebrities and archival imagery of note. Their video footage is HD.
• Fotosearch: they are an aggregator of professional images and footage and are a favorite of corporate brands.
• iStockPhoto.com (owned by Getty Images): Their collection also features photography, video, illustrations, and Flash animations. They represent several video artists and agencies and can even broker custom commissions. Their video content goes up to 1080p resolution, but the still imagery library is extensive.
• gettyimages: One of the leading sources for journalists, their collection includes a variety of entertainment and sports imagery featuring celebrities and professional athletes. Their video collection is HD, but the stills are high quality and give your displays timely relevance.
Stay tuned for more on 4k reference content and where to find produced 4k content. . .
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
At InfoComm 2013, Planar unveiled the Planar® PS5580, a narrow bezel LCD video wall display aimed at the growing number of budget-conscious customers who want to create high-impact video walls.
ThePlanar PS5580 is a 55” ultra-slim, narrow bezel LCD display designed with advanced video wall capabilities, commercial-grade features and LED backlight technology, delivering a simplified video wall solution with a sleek profile and low power consumption. The LCD video wall displays can be tiled together to create a large, visually stunning video wall intended for a wide variety of digital signage applications including retail stores, hospitality, universities, sports bars, corporate lobbies, conference rooms and exhibits.
“The Planar PS5580 breaks down barriers to video wall adoption by providing a reliable, high-performance solution at an affordable price,” said Steve Seminario, senior director of product marketing for Planar Systems. “We have seen growing demand for a straight-forward and affordable video wall solution. The Planar PS5580 delivers that while providing extremely low power consumption and an ultra thin profile. Whether customers are using a single display or tiling 100 together to create a large video wall, the Planar PS5580 packs a lot of value into a simple package.”
Over the past few years, the market for video walls has exploded as technology has advanced and more customers have discovered their immersive impact on viewers. “The market for LCD super narrow bezel displays has seen extraordinary growth since entering the market in 2009, experiencing great success within video wall applications,” said Parmjit Bhangal, market analyst at Futuresource Consulting. “The 5 to 10mm bezel category had a particularly strong 2012, and this success continued into 2013 as the category grew 21.8 percent quarter-on-quarter in the first quarter.”
Planar PS5580 features include:
- 55” very narrow bezel LCD display
- Full high-definition 1920 x 1080 resolution
- 400 nit brightness
- Edge-lit LED backlight for low power consumption (130 watts) and ultra-slim depth
- Built-in video wall scaling up to a 10x10 array
- Flexible connectivity (including DVI, HDMI, Display Port 1.1, VGA)
- All metal enclosure for durability
- VESA mount compatible
- Optional mounting system optimized for tiling and slim mounting depth compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Planar’s Customer First™ three-year warranty and support that includes 24x7 technical support, advanced replacement, second-day shipment to customers, and free replacement shipping
The Planar PS5580 complements Planar’s award-winning LCD video wall solutions, which together provide the most comprehensive line-up of LCD video wall displays in the industry. The Planar PS5580 monitor is the latest addition to the Planar PS-Series, a line of large format LCD display monitors designed to deliver superior commercial performance and affordability for digital signage applications.
The Planar PS5580 display will be available through Planar’s global network of authorized resellers and will begin shipping in the third calendar quarter of 2013. Visit the PS5580 product page for additional information.
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
- Planar Announces Next Generation Clarity Matrix LCD Video Wall System
- NetFlix 4K Content for Planar UltraRes Series
- Finding 4K: Finding 4k Reference Content for the Planar UltraRes and Clarity Matrix LCD Video Walls
- Finding 4K
- Runco Xtreme Projection X200i Wows Visitors at CEDIA 2013
- Planar Provides Code for Easy Integration in a Savant Automation System
- LS12HBd Earns TOP PICK from Sound and Vision at CEDIA 2013
- Top Ten Workplace Movies
- I See You
- Game-Changing Live Action Cinematography
Explore the Magic of Runco
News & Events
17-Sep-2013 - Runco’s best-selling LightStyle™ Series taken to new heights of brightness and scale, offering an affordable big screen video experience in virtually any room of th..... more ▶
06-Sep-2012 - This exciting new lineup boasts high-performing video performance coupled with installation flexibility and 3D capabilities at an exceptional value. Indianapolis, IN &ndas..... more ▶