This Minute at Runco
There is a vibrant and growing community of video artists that are using a digital canvas to create incredible artwork by custom commission or for license. You can find their work featured in museums, galleries, and online. You’ll see their work in commercial projects in hotels, airports, and the like. They exhibit at art shows for private and institutional collectors like Art Basel, Art Expo, and in galleries for Art Week in New York, Los Angeles, and Milan. Others have roots in commercial motion graphics and do custom work for advertising or promotional purposes. We have developed some relationships of our own with these artists and agencies, and would be happy to make a recommendation if you are looking to commission a custom piece. Some of our favorite artists have experience not only with 4k content development, but also have created content for sculptural architectural video walls, like the Planar Mosaic.
If you are looking for produced 4k content, we would highly recommend the TimeScapes movie, which was the first to be available in 4k download. This amazing content was captured over a two year period, in 4k, by award-winning cinematographer and director, Tom Lowe and featured stunning slow-motion and timelapse cinematography of landscapes, people and wildlife of the American South West. A QHD version is also available that looks incredible on Planar’s PXL2790 27” monitor.
And let’s not forget that you don’t have to look past your own camera as a source of art. 9 megapixel or higher digital cameras are very common and produce native photography that is larger than native pixel of most video wall or UltraRes installations. In fact, even today’s cell phone cameras can produce 4k imagery suitable for display. Your own family photos, vacation pictures, and the like can become beautiful digital wallpaper on your video wall or display. For higher-than-HD resolution video, you might just want to splurge on a RED digital camera and turn yourself into a filmmaker in your own right. This is exactly what Planar customer, Elemental did to create some sample content for their own testing and for their customers.
As the adoption of these technologies grow, I expect more artists and agencies to develop content. As an example of this growing trend, cinematographer Jacob Schwartz has posted a lovely collection of 4k travel and motion graphic content on YouTube (where you select “original” in the resolution menu to view). This summer he traveled to Myanmar to capture the architecture and people in stunning 4k detail. And we expect more to come from artists like Jacob.
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
Finding 4k Reference Content for the Planar UltraRes Series and Clarity Matrix LCD Video Walls
As people are using the Planar® UltraRes™ or building video walls using Clarity™ Matrix for demonstration, art, or ambiance, we get questions from our reseller partners and their clients as to where they can find content to show off the incredible resolution and visual performance of these displays.
For instance, a 3x3 Clarity Matrix of our MX-46 is over 5,760 pixels wide and the ultra HD resolution of the Planar UltraRes measured 3840 x 2160 pixels on a single 84” display canvas. Although these displays can certainly show video content from traditional sources like BluRay or PC sources, and can upscale 1080p content beautifully, nothing beats native resolution art and video on these displays.
There are a variety of stock photography and video houses that provide high-resolution imagery and video that could be used to transform your UltraRes or Matrix wall from entertainment to art. Most have online collections numbering in the millions that you can browse, preview in “light box” mode, and license in multiple resolutions. Remember that most of this photography or illustrations were created for print, which requires very high resolution artwork (much greater than what is typical for even UHD video). On the video side, the growth of 4k (or higher) resolution video has been stunning, as more and more people utilize.
Here are a few of our favorites:
• Pond5: Their collection features
photography, video, and illustrations. They offer week’s free downloads so that
you can test content. Click on “Video” and type in “4k” to the search field to
reveal thousands of video clips that might be perfect for your application.
Prices can vary (most well under $100) and all are covered by a royalty-free
• ArtBeats: They specialize in video footage, up to 4K resolution, and offer a free research service to find the perfect piece for you. They have assembled a 4k demo reel that includes a variety of nature imagery in stunning resolution.
• CorbisIMAGES and CorbisMotion: Their collection includes world events and fine art, including celebrities and archival imagery of note. Their video footage is HD.
• Fotosearch: they are an aggregator of professional images and footage and are a favorite of corporate brands.
• iStockPhoto.com (owned by Getty Images): Their collection also features photography, video, illustrations, and Flash animations. They represent several video artists and agencies and can even broker custom commissions. Their video content goes up to 1080p resolution, but the still imagery library is extensive.
• gettyimages: One of the leading sources for journalists, their collection includes a variety of entertainment and sports imagery featuring celebrities and professional athletes. Their video collection is HD, but the stills are high quality and give your displays timely relevance.
Stay tuned for more on 4k reference content and where to find produced 4k content. . .
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
Planar announced at InfoComm that it is adding multi-touch, multi-user capabilities to its breakthrough Planar® UltraRes™ Series 4K LCD display product line.
The addition of touch technology to the Planar UltraRes Series line of 4K displays expands Planar Systems’ leadership in the ultra-high definition category by combining a multi-touch experience with stunning 4K image clarity. It offers a best-in-class solution for professionals who seek to collaborate or annotate using a large viewing area, the highest image resolution and enterprise-level features. It is also ideal for public display applications such as way-finding, product catalogs and any interactive digital signage designed to promote customer engagement.
Already, Planar Systems offers the most comprehensive line of professional touch displays in the industry ranging from15-inch diagonal desktop, point of sale and kiosk displays all the way up to 300-inch diagonal multi-touch video wall displays. The Planar UltraRes Touch extends this offering further by providing a large-size multi-touch solution with unparalleled pixel density in Planar’s ultra HD (3840x2160) resolution display line.
“Touch integration has been the number one customer request since we introduced the Planar UltraRes Series of 84-inch ultra HD displays,” said Steve Seminario, senior director of product marketing for Planar Systems. “By utilizing Planar’s exclusive ERO™ protective glass surface and proven multi-touch technology, we’re happy to respond with a world-class implementation that is Planar-built and Planar-supported.”
A Multi-Touch Experience with Four Times the Resolution
Planar UltraRes Touch offers the following benefits:
- A multi-touch, multi-user experience: Planar UltraRes Touch offers six simultaneous touch points, making it easy for multiple users to collaborate and interact at the same time. The display recognizes the full range of common touch gestures including tapping, scrolling, pinching and rotating. The large 84” size lends itself to multiple users.
- 4K accuracy: With a native 4K resolution of 3840x2160, Planar UltraRes Touch provides four times the resolution of a full HD display for amazing clarity. Touch brings viewers closer to the display and Planar UltraRes Touch delivers razor sharp clarity even at these close viewing distances.
- Landscape and portrait orientations: Planar UltraRes Touch supports both landscape and portrait orientations, providing the flexibility needed for a wide range of applications, all at a display size which mimics the human scale.
- High reliability: Planar builds touch displays at the factory and stands behind the product with Planar warranties. Planar UltraRes Touch comes standard with fail-over power supplies, a quiet, fanless design and a unique service access mode enabled by the Planar Profile™ Mounting System. The result is a highly dependable product with the level of support customers need.
- Advanced design and function: Planar UltraRes Touch provides a sleek design for both function and style. It has an attractive, logo-free metal bezel and a wide range of digital connectivity options. Using the Planar Profile mount, it installs less than 4 inches from the wall, making it compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Designed for a Wide Range of Touch Applications
The Planar UltraRes Touch is available in three versions designed to suit the range of leading touch applications:
- Planar UltraRes Touch LX offers six simultaneous touch points and 350-nit brightness, making it ideal for meeting rooms and control rooms for whiteboard, collaboration, video conferencing and presentation applications.
- Planar UltraRes Touch MX provides six simultaneous touch points, 500-nit brightness, and both landscape and portrait modes, the ideal version for public venue and higher ambient light environments for branding, advertising and interactive digital signage applications.
- Planar UltraRes Touch 3D includes six simultaneous touch points, 420-nit brightness, and flawless 2D and 3D viewing. It’s the ideal model for customers who work with 3D and 2D visual information for big data analysis, simulation and a range of uses in the design industry.
Planar UltraRes Touch is available immediately through Planar’s global network of authorized resellers. Please visit Booth #3143 at InfoComm 2013 to learn more about the Planar UltraRes Touch and see a demo. Visit the Planar UltrarRes Series page for additional information.
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
- AMX, Savant and Crestron Modules Available for Clarity Matrix LCD Video Wall and Planar UltraRes Series
- Planar Announces Next Generation Clarity Matrix LCD Video Wall System
- NetFlix 4K Content for Planar UltraRes Series
- Finding 4K: Finding 4k Reference Content for the Planar UltraRes and Clarity Matrix LCD Video Walls
- Finding 4K
- Runco Xtreme Projection X200i Wows Visitors at CEDIA 2013
- Planar Provides Code for Easy Integration in a Savant Automation System
- LS12HBd Earns TOP PICK from Sound and Vision at CEDIA 2013
- Top Ten Workplace Movies
- I See You
Explore the Magic of Runco
News & Events
17-Sep-2013 - Runco’s best-selling LightStyle™ Series taken to new heights of brightness and scale, offering an affordable big screen video experience in virtually any room of th..... more ▶
06-Sep-2012 - This exciting new lineup boasts high-performing video performance coupled with installation flexibility and 3D capabilities at an exceptional value. Indianapolis, IN &ndas..... more ▶