This Minute at Runco
By Matt Christensen, Runco Sales
“They formed an alliance of hate to steal a fortune in dead man’s gold.” Actual movie tagline.
It’s hard to imagine a cold Sunday afternoon in February without catching some glimpse of this movie on TV. It’s the quintessential epic spaghetti western film that starred Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach in their respective title roles. This film is the final in the “Dollars Trilogy” that also included classics A Fistful of Dollars (1964) and For a Few Dollars More (1965). Although it is often seen as a “Classic” movie, the initial critical reviews were very harsh due to the high degree of violence (very tame for today’s standards) and because it was a spaghetti western, which was widely seen as inferior movie making and not real “art”. What did they know??
Because the movie is so long (2h, 45m) the multi-layered plot takes a while to completely unfold. The bottom line is the two main characters create an Survivor-like alliance to scam bounty hunting rewards and end up in a race against a third to find a jackpot of gold buried in a war-time cemetery. What I find interesting about this film is the way the director, Sergio Leone, makes the setting of Civil War era America seem very gritty and harsh. The audience is left with a feeling that living in this part of the country, during these times, would be anything but attractive, which only adds to the toughness of each of the characters in the film.
This is not a date-night movie nor one to start at midnight after a few beers. But, if you’re looking for a good way to work off the extra bowls of chili and waste away a sub-zero degree day watching some good man-movies, then The Good, Bad and the Ugly is a must-see. You will never forget the opening score, nor where the money is hidden!
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
- Planar Mosaic Video Wall Creates a Dynamic Platform for High-End Apartments
- No Dedicated Theater Room? No Problem with a Flex Theater
- Planar and Design Week Portland
- Planar EP-Series 4K Wins 2014 Technology Integrator EXC!TE Award
- When is 4K Coming?
- Planar Accelerates Adoption of Ultra HD with New 4K Displays
- Planar UltraRes 3D Now Supports 3D content from Bluray Players
- AMX, Savant and Crestron Modules Available for Clarity Matrix LCD Video Wall and Planar UltraRes Series
- Planar Announces Next Generation Clarity Matrix LCD Video Wall System
- NetFlix 4K Content for Planar UltraRes Series
Explore the Magic of Runco
News & Events
03-Sep-2014 - The Planar® EP-Series™ line of 4K displays was announced as a 2014 EXC!TE Award Winner by Technology Integrator magazine, formerly CustomRetailer. Each year Technolog..... more ▶
26-Jun-2014 - Planar UltraRes Series and Clarity Matrix LCD Video Wall System Recognized by Systems Contractor News and Digital Signage Magazine At InfoComm 2014, two of Planar's k..... more ▶