This Minute at Runco
Three Reasons to Install a Runco Home Theater
After years of coveting and contemplating, I am finally installing a proper front-projection Runco system into my own home. I don’t want to make too many lame excuses for being behind my colleagues and friends in having a theater, but I finally have a room where I can control the light and have the wall space to accommodate a theater and construction has begun. I will provide additional progress updates as it continues, but needless to say, myself and my family are very excited!
Which leads me to the discussion today, why install a Runco home theater? As a self-described technology geek, I had always wanted a theater, but the reason that we pulled the trigger was more about my role as a Mom and Wife, than as the VP of marketing for Planar and Runco. Here are the three, very personal reasons, why I wanted a Runco theater in my home.
3. Nothing beats diagonal inches for family movie night
We have a long-standing Friday night tradition of getting pizza and “watching something upstairs.” Recently, we have enjoyed a beautiful Runco Vistage 63” flat panel and I have nothing but good things to say about that display. Absolutely beautiful! However, due to the layout of the room, my daughter (who is seven and quite petite at that) could only see the screen when the sofa was reclined and she was sitting in one particular place at the table. It was less accessible for her than it was for others in the family. So, now we are looking forward to watching movies or “So You Think You Can Dance?” episodes on an 110” screen for a more immersive experience that can be viewed from any portion of the room. That 110” Stewart screen is a whopping 300% bigger than the Vistage in terms of square inches (5,167 vs 1,695) and those extra diagonal inches have a huge impact.
2. It makes my home a destination for our friends
For years, my husband has participated in a Sunday night “Men’s Movie Night.” They go to some shoot-em-up movie that nobody’s wife wants to see and love every minute of it (well, except for the sticky floors, uncomfortable seats, and noisy patrons). If nothing of interest was in the theaters (and that is often the case), they’d meet up in someone’s home to watch a BluRay instead. Due to the set-up we had, our home was always on the list (I mentioned earlier how incredible movies looked our Runco display). But with this new set-up, our house will be the preferred location for these home cinema experiences.
Sure, I am in the professional video business and having nice displays at home is an occupational hazard, but now that will be apparent from the moment someone walks into the room and sees the impressive QuantumColor Q-750d on the ceiling and screen on the wall. We choose not to put it in the back of the room, although we could have with the equally-fabulous Ultra version, because we wanted the room to be a spokesperson for Runco. It will get lots of deserved attention and I have already heard my husband giving an impassioned explanation to our friends about the benefits of Runco’s Infinilight LED illumination system and Runco SmartColor. Which, I must admit, is a proud moment!
1. It makes my home a destination for my kids’ friends
Friends of mine, whom I consider particularly good at this impossible job called “raising kids,” have expressed to me time and time again the importance of knowing your children and their friends as they grow. This is especially true during the teenage years, where the influence of peers is so pronounced. My children are still in elementary school, but even now I see the impact of their friends on their choices and attitudes. And frankly, I want to continue to know them, and their friends, and have an influence as long as I can. Having a home theater is the kind of thing that will bring kids to our house. We will stock the fridge in the back of the room with snacks and beverages. We will have great movies and shows available. We will create the kind of environment in our media room that makes our house the place to be on a Friday or Saturday night.
These are just some of the reasons that we are now working on the theater. We know that it is an investment that will pay dividends for our family and friends for years to come.
Stay tuned for more updates on the theater and for pictures of the finished room, coming soon!
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
At InfoComm 2013, Planar unveiled the Planar® PS5580, a narrow bezel LCD video wall display aimed at the growing number of budget-conscious customers who want to create high-impact video walls.
ThePlanar PS5580 is a 55” ultra-slim, narrow bezel LCD display designed with advanced video wall capabilities, commercial-grade features and LED backlight technology, delivering a simplified video wall solution with a sleek profile and low power consumption. The LCD video wall displays can be tiled together to create a large, visually stunning video wall intended for a wide variety of digital signage applications including retail stores, hospitality, universities, sports bars, corporate lobbies, conference rooms and exhibits.
“The Planar PS5580 breaks down barriers to video wall adoption by providing a reliable, high-performance solution at an affordable price,” said Steve Seminario, senior director of product marketing for Planar Systems. “We have seen growing demand for a straight-forward and affordable video wall solution. The Planar PS5580 delivers that while providing extremely low power consumption and an ultra thin profile. Whether customers are using a single display or tiling 100 together to create a large video wall, the Planar PS5580 packs a lot of value into a simple package.”
Over the past few years, the market for video walls has exploded as technology has advanced and more customers have discovered their immersive impact on viewers. “The market for LCD super narrow bezel displays has seen extraordinary growth since entering the market in 2009, experiencing great success within video wall applications,” said Parmjit Bhangal, market analyst at Futuresource Consulting. “The 5 to 10mm bezel category had a particularly strong 2012, and this success continued into 2013 as the category grew 21.8 percent quarter-on-quarter in the first quarter.”
Planar PS5580 features include:
- 55” very narrow bezel LCD display
- Full high-definition 1920 x 1080 resolution
- 400 nit brightness
- Edge-lit LED backlight for low power consumption (130 watts) and ultra-slim depth
- Built-in video wall scaling up to a 10x10 array
- Flexible connectivity (including DVI, HDMI, Display Port 1.1, VGA)
- All metal enclosure for durability
- VESA mount compatible
- Optional mounting system optimized for tiling and slim mounting depth compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Planar’s Customer First™ three-year warranty and support that includes 24x7 technical support, advanced replacement, second-day shipment to customers, and free replacement shipping
The Planar PS5580 complements Planar’s award-winning LCD video wall solutions, which together provide the most comprehensive line-up of LCD video wall displays in the industry. The Planar PS5580 monitor is the latest addition to the Planar PS-Series, a line of large format LCD display monitors designed to deliver superior commercial performance and affordability for digital signage applications.
The Planar PS5580 display will be available through Planar’s global network of authorized resellers and will begin shipping in the third calendar quarter of 2013. Visit the PS5580 product page for additional information.
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
Planar announced at InfoComm that it is adding multi-touch, multi-user capabilities to its breakthrough Planar® UltraRes™ Series 4K LCD display product line.
The addition of touch technology to the Planar UltraRes Series line of 4K displays expands Planar Systems’ leadership in the ultra-high definition category by combining a multi-touch experience with stunning 4K image clarity. It offers a best-in-class solution for professionals who seek to collaborate or annotate using a large viewing area, the highest image resolution and enterprise-level features. It is also ideal for public display applications such as way-finding, product catalogs and any interactive digital signage designed to promote customer engagement.
Already, Planar Systems offers the most comprehensive line of professional touch displays in the industry ranging from15-inch diagonal desktop, point of sale and kiosk displays all the way up to 300-inch diagonal multi-touch video wall displays. The Planar UltraRes Touch extends this offering further by providing a large-size multi-touch solution with unparalleled pixel density in Planar’s ultra HD (3840x2160) resolution display line.
“Touch integration has been the number one customer request since we introduced the Planar UltraRes Series of 84-inch ultra HD displays,” said Steve Seminario, senior director of product marketing for Planar Systems. “By utilizing Planar’s exclusive ERO™ protective glass surface and proven multi-touch technology, we’re happy to respond with a world-class implementation that is Planar-built and Planar-supported.”
A Multi-Touch Experience with Four Times the Resolution
Planar UltraRes Touch offers the following benefits:
- A multi-touch, multi-user experience: Planar UltraRes Touch offers six simultaneous touch points, making it easy for multiple users to collaborate and interact at the same time. The display recognizes the full range of common touch gestures including tapping, scrolling, pinching and rotating. The large 84” size lends itself to multiple users.
- 4K accuracy: With a native 4K resolution of 3840x2160, Planar UltraRes Touch provides four times the resolution of a full HD display for amazing clarity. Touch brings viewers closer to the display and Planar UltraRes Touch delivers razor sharp clarity even at these close viewing distances.
- Landscape and portrait orientations: Planar UltraRes Touch supports both landscape and portrait orientations, providing the flexibility needed for a wide range of applications, all at a display size which mimics the human scale.
- High reliability: Planar builds touch displays at the factory and stands behind the product with Planar warranties. Planar UltraRes Touch comes standard with fail-over power supplies, a quiet, fanless design and a unique service access mode enabled by the Planar Profile™ Mounting System. The result is a highly dependable product with the level of support customers need.
- Advanced design and function: Planar UltraRes Touch provides a sleek design for both function and style. It has an attractive, logo-free metal bezel and a wide range of digital connectivity options. Using the Planar Profile mount, it installs less than 4 inches from the wall, making it compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Designed for a Wide Range of Touch Applications
The Planar UltraRes Touch is available in three versions designed to suit the range of leading touch applications:
- Planar UltraRes Touch LX offers six simultaneous touch points and 350-nit brightness, making it ideal for meeting rooms and control rooms for whiteboard, collaboration, video conferencing and presentation applications.
- Planar UltraRes Touch MX provides six simultaneous touch points, 500-nit brightness, and both landscape and portrait modes, the ideal version for public venue and higher ambient light environments for branding, advertising and interactive digital signage applications.
- Planar UltraRes Touch 3D includes six simultaneous touch points, 420-nit brightness, and flawless 2D and 3D viewing. It’s the ideal model for customers who work with 3D and 2D visual information for big data analysis, simulation and a range of uses in the design industry.
Planar UltraRes Touch is available immediately through Planar’s global network of authorized resellers. Please visit Booth #3143 at InfoComm 2013 to learn more about the Planar UltraRes Touch and see a demo. Visit the Planar UltrarRes Series page for additional information.
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
- AMX, Savant and Crestron Modules Available for Clarity Matrix LCD Video Wall and Planar UltraRes Series
- Planar Announces Next Generation Clarity Matrix LCD Video Wall System
- NetFlix 4K Content for Planar UltraRes Series
- Finding 4K: Finding 4k Reference Content for the Planar UltraRes and Clarity Matrix LCD Video Walls
- Finding 4K
- Runco Xtreme Projection X200i Wows Visitors at CEDIA 2013
- Planar Provides Code for Easy Integration in a Savant Automation System
- LS12HBd Earns TOP PICK from Sound and Vision at CEDIA 2013
- Top Ten Workplace Movies
- I See You
Explore the Magic of Runco
News & Events
17-Sep-2013 - Runco’s best-selling LightStyle™ Series taken to new heights of brightness and scale, offering an affordable big screen video experience in virtually any room of th..... more ▶
06-Sep-2012 - This exciting new lineup boasts high-performing video performance coupled with installation flexibility and 3D capabilities at an exceptional value. Indianapolis, IN &ndas..... more ▶